Saturday, March 9, 2013

Not So New

Whoever said, "40 is the new 30!" is either mentally retarded or a man.

As I grow out of my thirties, I'm quickly realizing that my health duties have to change.  I need to pay more attention to my mind & body...and it's limitations.
In my twenties, I could live on three hours of sleep, a cup of coffee and air.  If I were to try this now, I would probably be imprisoned for murder.

I've been feeling like crap (for lack of a better word) for months now.
At first I thought if was just stress due to my Grandmother's passing and some other 'drama' going on in my personal life last summer.  But as it turns out, it's hormonal.  At least, that's what I think it is based on endless Google searches like, feeling like crap, feeling dizzy and irritated, women who want to hurt people for no good reason etc, etc.

After a couple months of suffering with the dizzy spells and lack of energy, I went to see a doctor (my family doc is on mat leave so I met with her replacement) who quickly surmised that I'm having Estrogen problems.  Basically, I'm unbalanced. 
Her solution?  Monitor my symptoms, take notes and if I don't start feeling better in a couple of months, come back to see her and she'll put me on the birth control pill.  That's her solution. 
No mention of managing my stress levels, no mention of diet & excercise.  'Just go on the birth control pill and leave me alone' is what she's thinking.
'Quack!' is what I'm thinking.

Of course, I look for natural ways to balance myself out and I find it with the help of an Aunt who is a holistic nutritionist. 
I'm downing ten different vitamins and supplements a day but it seems to be working.  I still feel unbalanced sometimes but not nearly as much as I did a few months ago.  I feel more in control.

I never wanted to be one of those women who blabber on endlessly about their hormone problems.  And I certainly never thought I would have hormone problems in my thirties - I thought I would only have to deal with that when Menopause comes knocking.
However, as we all know, life is unpredictable so here I am, writing about hormone issues.

A lot of women struggle with symtoms like dizziness, irritability, nauseousness and just a general feeling of being 'off' your game'.  If you're feeling this, start researching hormone levels and just how important they are to your overall health.  You will be amazed.

So, during times of strife, I like to drown my sorrows in situation comedies.
One of my favourite TV shows is The New Adventures of Old Christine
At the end of season 3, Christine starts to feel unbalanced and tired.  So she goes to her doctor who tells her she's starting to go through early Menopause.  She refuses to come to terms with it because it makes her feel old.  But her symptoms become unbearable so her friend Barb, gives her some 'lady cream'.  It's really just testosterone cream.

Here's what happens when we get too much testoterone, ladies - take notes! 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

'Just go on the birth control pill and leave me alone' is what she's thinking. You'd be right there!

I'm a great believer in vitamins - have been for years. Don't know if they do any good, but because I 'believe' they do, they always make me feel healthier. The power of the mind - or just mad? Hmmm ...

I hope you're feeling better soon. It's exhausting being under the weather.

PS. I've been unbalanced for years so you're in good company! xoxox