Thursday, January 31, 2008

Benedict Arnold--the Pioneer

Have you ever known a backstabber? Chances are, you probably have no idea as backstabbers (aka Traitors like Mr. Arnold) are notorious manipulators. They gain your trust and indulge you with their great ability to listen and understand your plight, whatever it may be. They are everyone's best friend.
While out in the real world, I think most of us are aware of these beings. Most people (with even a small amount of street smarts) can detect a phony a mile away, especially in a social setting. These backstabbers are not as harmful, imo. However, be aware of the corporate backstabber for they are the most cunning backstabbers of all.
I recently left a company that was both horrendous and hedonistic. Yes, I just wrote hedonistic.
I had two great assistants that I treated very well. I am not a micromanager. I am not a stickler for minute details like coming in late once in awhile. I think I'm pretty lenient. All I expect of people that report to me is to do their job to the best of their abilities. Finish their projects on time and avoid gossiping with other departments. I don't know, maybe that doesn't make for good manager material but I respect every single person that I have ever worked with and for.
Anyway, one of my former assistants has been talking smack about me since I left. This was the same woman that was encouraging me to quit because she witnessed first hand the abuse my VP placed upon me. She was kind, sweet, empathetic and a very good worker. She is the ultimate backstabber.

Since learning of her betrayal, I started to think about how it must feel to live life as a backstabber. Are they able to sleep at night? Are they able to look at themselves in the mirror? Do they even have close friends? Are they straight up with anyone in their lives?
The only positive thing that has come out of all of this is that I will be more aware of the corporate backstabber in the future. You can usually spot them at the water cooler gossiping about the person they just had lunch with.


Benedict Arnold
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Benedict Arnold V (January 14, 1741 [O.S. January 3, 1740][1][2]June 14, 1801) originally fought for American independence from the British Empire as a general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War until he obtained command of the American fort at West Point, New York and, switching sides, plotted unsuccessfully to surrender it to the British.
Arnold was considered by many to be the best general and most accomplished leader in the Continental Army. In fact, without Arnold's earlier contributions to the American cause, the American Revolution might well have been lost; but after he switched sides, his name, like those of several other prominent traitors throughout history, has become a byword for treason in the United States.[3][4]

No comments: