Monday, June 30, 2008

Tick, Tock

I was checking my email on MSN earlier today and stumbled upon an interesting article about the highs, lows and truths of parenthood.
As it turns out, studies are now showing that childless marriages are happier marriages.
I didn't need an article to tell me that. But am I alone?

It seems that more and more people are popping out kids like bottomless Pez dispensers. Everywhere I look, I see one designer baby carriage after another. In fact, my neighbourhood is most definately going through a baby boom. It doesn't matter what restaurant or store you walk into, you're sure to find the $1200 carriage--most likely a Bugaboo in the infamous red colour.
Gone are the days of quiet booths in fancy restaurants. Now, they're all replaced with open tables, ten feet between them for the carriages and high chairs.
Have babies become the cool accessory? It seems so. However, I would rather carry a purse.


I guess I should thank my family for forcing me to babysit my younger cousins as a teenager because those evening and weekends reiterated the fact that I despise taking care of miniature humans. I despise listening to kids whine. I depsise changing diapers. I despise allowing kids to decide what they want to watch on tv; Barney or Sesame Street. They should either watch what I want to watch or just go to bed. You see, I come from a time when children were 'seen and not heard'.

I often sit and ponder; will my biological clock ever start ticking? I mean, I'm not getting any younger--I'm in my mid-thirties. Shouldn't the clock have started by now?
I should be cooing over cute little babies when I see them but all I think is 'damn, that's a lot of work!'.

No comments: