Saturday, June 6, 2009

9 Times a Charm?

Since January 2006, a particular character and her storyline have been taking over my thoughts on a daily basis. Doesn't matter what time of the day or night, she pops up whenever she feels like it.
'She' refuses to allow me to take a break from 'her' and 'her' drama; I like to use the 'I have writer's block' excuse but she will have none of it. Being born into fiction, I'm sure she's heard this before.
Her name is Anna. She's stubborn, elusive and thoroughly intoxicating, at times. She's difficult, time-consuming and easily ignored, at other times.
One of my main complaints about Anna is that I lack the good writing skills it's going to take to write her the way she deserves to be written.
I know, to most people, what I just wrote will come off as completely absurd. But to a fellow writer, I know it makes sense.
Have you ever had an amazing character or plot in your head that was just so bloody good, you were afraid of it? Not because you lack the motivation to write it but because you could see all the work it was going to take to pull it off and you think 'how is this going to be possible'? It's like our creative minds bite off more than they can 'chew' sometimes.

Tonight, for the first time in about three months, I'm tackling the (9th!) rewrite of my novel's first chapter; my arch-nemisis.
This is going to be hell....again.

No comments: